Friday, March 30, 2012

The Next Best Thing

I recently read an article on QR codes and the benefits they have on a company. I know we have been talking about this same topic in class but I still have my skepticism towards these little codes, and it seems like a lot of others do too. The article explains how QR codes are just extensions of your marketing, and that there are many other efficient ways to do what a QR code can do. Then why are they starting to blow up in the marketing world? The answer simply is that QR codes are addicting, just like Facebook and twitter. Even if someone really is not interested in a company's QR code he or she will still scan it because they are addicted to scanning it, just how Facebook, twitter, and others of our oh so technical new world are. That is what they are the next best thing in the business world.

2 comments:

  1. I think you present an interesting idea. After thinking about it, I would say that it makes sense. I don't use the scanner on my phone because I find it annoying and I don't need that marketing information at the tips of my fingers like others do. However, it never occurred to me that people would simply scan it just because they are addicted to using their smartphone. I would also have to agree with your skepticism towards the QR codes. It seems like just another ploy that we see daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a smartphone and have scanned a few qr code and I would have to agree that half the reason I scanned was just to use the application. Although the code got my attention, the fact that I just wanted to see what the scanner would do was just as much of a factor. Now that I know even more about QR codes and have used my scanner more than enough to not be interested by the process. I think I will either use the scanner minimally, or use it if there is another perk to scanning it other than finding more information on the company.

    ReplyDelete